Six family members had made applications for compensation over the deaths of Alexander Jones, 19, his sister Bridget, 18 and visiting academic Marie-Faith Fiawoo, who were crushed and killed when Grocon’s wall collapsed onto the footpath in central Melbourne three years ago.
Last July, surrounding homes were left teetering over a giant, 15-metre-deep pit when excavation work at 170-174 Highbury Road collapsed.
About a dozen residents, mainly foreign students, were forced to evacuate.
After initial landslips were reported in mid-July, the pit’s walls continued to crumble, taking with them a portable toilet, fencing, a wheelie bin and the backyard of an adjoining townhouse.
The worker was working on top of the awning above the front of Her Majesty’s Theatre on Exhibition St when he fell through it and on to the footpath below.
Ambulance Victoria spokesman Paul Bentley said the man suffered back and arm injuries.
The man was taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a stable condition.
A WorkSafe Victoria spokesman said the safety watchdog was aware of the incident and making inquiries.
A hearing, following the death of a logging truck driver Dallas Hickey, 51, had already run for about a month. It had twice been adjourned, most recently in March this year when transport operator James Walter Beau Thompson was still under cross-examination.
It was set to resume in Gisborne District Court yesterday, when Thompson’s lawyer Paul White confirmed Thompson would plead guilty to one of four charges – that being an agent for Hawke Equipment he participated in the company’s failure to take all practicable steps to ensure no harm came to its contractor Dallas Wayne Hickey.
As a result of the guilty plea, Worksafe elected not to pursue three other charges – a similar one against Hawke Equipment and two similar alternative charges that Thompson and Hawke made failings as an employer of Mr Hickey.
Judge Warren Cathcart agreed to withdraw the charges.
A revised summary of facts focused on the lack of health and safety training and induction given to Mr Hickey, who was on his second day of the job.
Judge Cathcart remanded Thompson at large for sentence, expected to take half a day on May 10. Thompson’s offer to undergo a restorative justice process was declined by Mr Hickey’s family.
He faces a penalty of up to $250,000 with potential additional payments to the family for emotional harm and for prosecution costs.
The site of a building that collapsed onto a footpath in North Melbourne has now been found to be riddled with asbestos.
The CFMEU claims WorkSafe failed to properly inspect and make the site safe, which may have put local residents at risk.
A brick wall at the partially-demolished Royal Park Hotel in North Melbourne came crashing down on to the footpath on Wednesday morning, spraying bricks at nearby pedestrians.
Emergency crews were called to the site of the old Royal Park Hotel on the corner of Howard and Queensberry streets in North Melbourne after the wall fell about 9.30am on Wednesday.
The CFMEU said its inspectors shut down the partially demolished site on Tuesday due to grave structural safety concerns, a failure to conduct an asbestos audit and a lack of any measures in place to protect passers-by.
But parts of the building site were later reopened by WorkSafe.
No one was injured in the collapse, but union officials said there had been a frightening near-miss for a female pedestrian pushing a pram past the wall at the time it fell.
Witness Brett Wittingslow said the surrounding streets had not been blocked off while the demolition was being carried out.
“The road was not closed as they were doing the demolition and the wall broke through the hoarding and onto the street,” he said.
“There were a number of cars, cyclists and pedestrians, including myself, within the direct vicinity.”
Dust filled the street as the wall came crashing down, leaving bricks and rubble strewn over the footpath and road.
A WorkSafe spokesman said the regulator was investigating the wall collapse and had inspectors at the scene.
Police said the 48-year-old man was performing maintenance on the truck when it rolled and tumbled about 200 metres down a hill.
It then crashed into a house in Seaview Drive about 8:50am. The driver died at the scene.
Detectives investigated the scene and prepared a report for the coroner.
Prison guard union figures reveal 30 Metropolitan Remand Centre workers are battling stress, anxiety and depression and have been unable to work following the 14-hour siege in June last year.
And alarmingly, WorkCover services director Geoff Lewin warned the figure was expected to double in the next 12 months “because of the post-traumatic stress suffered by many still at the site’’.
A WorkCover report revealed 100 incidents occurred during the siege including 18 traumatic events, two assaults and 49 cases of occupational violence.
Some staff trapped in the siege had urine thrown at them and were verbally abused.
Others had threats scrawled against them on walls and one officer’s personal address was passed around inmates after a guard area was ransacked.
The increasing numbers on extended sick leave has resulted in 18 officers being called in from other prisons to help run the remand centre, a move that is placing pressure on staff across the prison network.
“The staff feel like they are still at risk,’’ one source said.
“They are going to the doctor and saying, ‘I can’t do this any more, I have had enough’.’’
The move to stub out smoking in Victorian jails was passed by the Napthine government in 2013; however, implementation was overseen by the current Labor government.
Opposition spokesman Edward O’Donohue said the ban had not been implemented correctly and the situation needed to be fixed.
The cigarette ban continues to cause issues and taxpayer- funded nicotine patches have become black market currency fetching the equivalent of $10 in the canteen.
Prisoners are making crude homemade cigarettes by boiling nicotine patches with tea leaves, which is dried out and wrapped in paper.
Known as tea-bacco, it is feared burning and inhaling the adhesive could be toxic.
Prisoners are also destroying government-supplied electrical appliances to light the homemade smokes.
Corrections Victoria spokesman Michael Gleeson said staff welfare was of “utmost importance” but said quitting smoking presented an ongoing challenge for inmates.
It’s understood the man was working in the roof at Mildura Airport on Monday morning when he fell into the terminal below, causing falling debris to hit two people.
The man and two passengers in the departure lounge were taken to hospital in a stable condition, an ambulance spokeswoman said.
Bridget and Alexander Jones, aged 18 and 19, and French academic Marie Faith Faiwoo, 33, died when the brick wall and sign hoarding in Swanston Street blew over in strong winds in March 2013.
Grocon was developing the vacant site and was fined $250,000 in late 2014 after pleading guilty to failing to ensure a safe workplace.
The company which erected the advertising board, Aussie Signs, was also fined $250,000 last month for failing to keep the public safe.
The parents of the victims are now applying for compensation under the sentencing act for the grief, distress and trauma suffered as a result.
The application for compensation is expected to be contested.
It has been set down for a two-day hearing in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court in August.